Friday, June 29, 2012

Hiatus (& thoughts that entered my head)

It's been well over a week since my last post. Shame on me. I haven't been 100% non-productive however. Since I've met with my newest client I have been able to make good progress on a logo design for him. If he approves of my latest sketch, we'll be moving into the digital phase of his logo design.

Jacci's logo is kind of at a stand still at the moment. She wants a "softer" design of the logo I've been working on. With the corners of the leaves already rounded I'm not sure how to make it softer. When I try to make them blunt at the tips it no longer looks like a leaf at all. The melalueca leaf that she wanted me to model hers to be similar to does not have rounded edges, it's pointy. I think I need a new approach to the leaf. I suspect it's not the edges being round that makes the leaf look sharp or not "soft" but perhaps the shape of the leaf in general. It's a conundrum.

I have acquired a new employee ... sort of ... it's hard to explain. But I paid a good chunk of money and now it's understood that if I need a hand they need to help me. We'll see how that works.

I've noticed that not writing in this blog every week and not posting my lack of progress has let me be lazy. Without the fear of embarrassing myself on the web by posting a lack of progress I haven't felt the pressure required to make progress.

I don't know what I want out of my business and it's causing me serious problems. especially in the way of organization. I need to get my head screwed on straight.

I like the idea of owning the local guru business of design and media production. a business that handles everything and does it better than everyone else. By everything I mean everything that is not being done already. The area has good print shops, good photographers (at least I think it does ...), good layout designers, and even some broadcasting companies. What it doesn't have is any decent branding designers, or an advertising agency/marketing company, or a quality media production company for film or animation, it also doesn't have any web design businesses worth their salt (aside from a few freelance artists here and there that aren't advertising their services). Having one business that handles all of these things appeals to me.

But it's not like I can do all of that. Not without a whole lot of money to pay real professionals to do real work (more on that in a second). The alternative is doing just one thing and finding other people to fill in the other things with their small businesses. In other words be a sole proprietor for life. I think I will die before letting someone talk me into cornering myself into the S quadrant for life (that was Robert Kiyosaki speak for those of you who don't understand what I just said). having my own business that handles just brand design or just media production or just advertising strategies is a business that dreams small and stays small. It is a buisness that never makes the B quadrant and dies with it's owner or in many cases even sooner.

And let's say for the sake of argument that I did go the route of the sole proprietor working only one aspect of the design. Where am I going to find the people to fill in the missing holes? There is no one out there at the moment filling my needs (at least not to my standards). What if I find someone to do it, but then later realize I don't like working with them?

So how do I get what I want? Is it even what I want? The things I know are: I really want to get onto YouTube, and not in the way the typical business owner thinks of YouTube as nothing more than an advertising strategy or small limb of their "real" business. I want to really get onto YouTube in the way it was meant to be utilized; for the production of free entertainment. I want to own my own business that goes big. I want to be able to step away and let it run itself. I want to hire quality professionals who work for serious cash. I dont want to work with people who think pinching pennies in their advertising budget is a smart business model. I want to create something that outlives me. I want to offer something that improves lives. I don't want to stay local.

Just some of the many things that race through my mind on a daily basis...

No comments:

Post a Comment