Thursday, May 17, 2012

I tried to cheat ...

So I tried to cheat and really quickly post the images of my sketch book drawings really late last night (16th). Then I was going to make this post and go more into detail about them today (17th). Problem is I can't even cheat right. I took too long to get the last post up so it didn't get posted until 12:02 am. Only a few days in and I already messed up my "post every day" pledge. Oh well today still get's two posts to make up for it.

So lets talk about the images I posted. obviously they are all images of the same page of my sketchbook. The sketchbook I used is a 17x14 inch book and the scanner I have is only 8x11 in. So I just scanned several times so I could show the whole page. I thought about cutting them up and splicing them together in one image but that seemed like way too much work.

I felt I had several Ideas worth pursuing with this one page of sketches. When I showed the page to other people they could all point out at least 2 or 3 that they liked (some being picked multiple times by different people). I was surprised when I handed the page to Jaqulyn and in less than a minute picked out one that she was absolutely in love with. I was expecting a, "oh I kinda like this one and this one," lets try some variations of these before going ahead." I was even more surprised to find out that even though she was absolutely in love with the one she picked, there was only one other idea on the page that she even liked. I don't mean to imply that she didn't like my work, she just didn't want any of them as her logo. I was prepared though and for that I am glad. The more choices you can provide, the more likely there is to have a choice that jumps out at the client. Just think, If I hadn't done those 2 drawings that she did like, I would have had a full page of logos that she didn't like. I would have had to start all over again with a new page of logos (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

So which one did she pick? This one:

This is the logo I will be creating colored digital versions of in the near future. I hope you like it, because I'm going to be doing a lot more posting about it as I continue to work on it.

I am curious, out of all the drawings on the page, which ones would you have chosen and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment